WELCOME TO THE DEPARTMENT OF NEVADA HOME PAGE
Our Legion Youth is Our Legion’s Future
Every year, you hear The American Legion pushing membership as the focus for every Department. However, the real challenge is; how do we go about gaining in membership? In order for The American Legion to grow, we must highlight all of our Legion programs, which include our Legion Youth Programs. In order to attract veterans to join our organization, we must give them a reason to join. Let’s also remember that taking care of our Veterans must include taking care of their families as well. If we provide a place for their families to participate, we can encourage the Veterans to join our organization. That is why I am promoting all of The American Legion Youth Programs:
Boy Scouts of America
Nevada Boys State
Hear Today Learn Tomorrow
Junior Shooting Sports
Youth Cadet Law Enforcement
Sons of The American Legion
If we promote these programs locally, we can exhibit to our communities that The American Legion is not only a veteran’s organization, but an organization that inspires and supports our youth. I am encouraging every post and every Legionnaire to participate in each of the youth programs. It will be through their families that we can motivate these Veterans to join our organization.
So, let’s make The American Legion Family just that,
a Veteran and Family organization.
Since our charter, our American Legion Department of Nevada has been welcoming VETERANS from all branches of our Armed Forces. Today, we continue to welcome all military personnel serving our country. Joining a Post in our state enables you to continue serving your God, Country and Community. Our mission is to implement the goals, aspirations, dreams, peace and blessings for our country, friends and families embodied in our preamble.
To Visit the Western Region Web Site Click here
~To our World War II & Korean Veterans who are interested in visiting War Era Memorial
please click on link to apply~
What The American Legion Does:
- Processes more than 600 disability claims appeals per month for veterans trying to get their VA medical benefits.
- Gives emergency financial assistance to Legion Families hit by Hurricanes, floods, tornadoes and other disasters.
- Urges Congress to provide enough VA funding to take care of veterans' medical needs - and provide it in advance.
- Awards college scholarships to children whose mothers or fathers have sacrificed their lives in the global war on terrorism.
- Volunteers about one million hours every year at about 160 VA Medical Facilities nationwide.
- Helps familes of deployed troops through the Family Support Network and Operation Military Family Outreach.
- Through its Temporary Financial Assistance program, helps the children of veterans who are suffering hardships.
- Donates about 100,000 pints of blood annually to the American Red Cross.
- Lobbies Congress to upgrade and improve Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits (Legion wrote the original 1944 GI Bill that educated 8 million veterans).
- Through its Heroes To Hometowns program works with communities to welcome back their returning veterans and help them make the transition to civilian life.
- Sponsors more than 5,000 American Legion Baseball Teams, which are made up by more than 100,000 ballplayers.
- Raises funds to improve quality of life for active duty troops with the Wounded Warrior Recognition Program and Operation Comfort Warriors.
- Offers community programs that encourage the intellectual and social growth of America's children (Boys State, National Oratorical Competition, Boy Scouts).
To find out much more about what The American Legion does, please visit www.legion.org
To the wonderful patriotic citizens of Nevada Thank You. Join in the support of a Post as a Booster or sponsor. 100% of the monies raised are given back to the community. Help us to continue sponsoring Scholarships for our children; give aid and assistance to our local needy Veterans and their families. Help us to continue to support financially worthy community programs and projects.